On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 2:04 PM Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 12:53:40PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > The NIS stuff should be evicted from the hostname man page.
>
> Well... maybe?  While the use of NIS hostname resolution is strongly
> discouraged, it's not *forbidden*.  A system admin might, in theory,
> be using NIS to serve up hostname/IP mappings, in which case the NIS
> commands and references might be needed.
>
> The part of hostname(1) that struck me as needing amendment was this:
>
>        The   host   name   is   usually   set   once   at  system  startup  in
>        /etc/init.d/hostname.sh (normally by reading the  contents  of  a  file
>        which contains the host name, e.g.  /etc/hostname).
>
> My Debian 12 system does not have an /etc/init.d/hostname.sh file,
> or anything else that's close to it.
>
> unicorn:/etc/init.d$ grep hostname *
> unicorn:/etc/init.d$
>
> Whatever's reading /etc/hostname comes from another location.

That could be Systemd. They used to recommend changing /etc/hostname
directly:
<https://systemd-devel.freedesktop.narkive.com/W2bL081i/how-do-you-set-the-machine-s-domain-name-with-systemd>.

> In any case, this is clearly a man page *not* written by Debian, so
> getting changes made to it is going to be like pulling teeth.  Don't even
> bother submitting Debian bug reports against upstream man pages, in
> my experience.  You can try your luck with upstream projects, but even
> then it's really unlikely you'll ever get a documentation patch accepted.

Yeah, just file a bug and let whomever else deal with it. Whatever
text is proposed, it will be rejected in favor of what the person with
check-in privileges wants.

Or worse, the person with check-in privileges will torture the
submitter with an endless stream of minute changes, as if the
submitter is a personal secretary, in an effort "teach" the submitter
for his/her benefit of expected volumes of future patches.

Jeff