Hi,

Karen Lewellen wrote:
> ..ah, typo indeed.
> it should be rsh.

Quite a while ago rsh has been put in the pillory for not encrypting the
connection. The town crier urged everybody to use ssh instead.

Found in the web:

https://fossies.org/linux/alpine/imap/docs/FAQ.txt

  _4.3 How does the c-client library choose which of its several
  mechanisms to use to establish an IMAP connection to the server? I
  noticed that it can connect on port 143, port 993, via rsh, and via
  ssh._
        c-client chooses how to establish an IMAP connection via the
        following rules:

        + If /ssl is specified, use an SSL connection. Fail otherwise.
        + Else if client is a UNIX system and "ssh server exec
          /etc/rimapd" works, use that
        + Else if /tryssl is specified and an SSL connection works, use
          that.
        + Else if client is a UNIX system and "rsh server exec
          /etc/rimapd" works, use that.
        + Else use a non-SSL connection.

  _7.25 Why is there a long delay in Alpine or any other c-client based
  application call before I get connected to the IMAP server?
  [...]
        It must be emphasized that this is a bug in rsh. It is _not_ a
        bug in the IMAP toolkit.

        The use of rsh can be disabled in any the following ways:

        + You can disable it for this particular session by either:
             o setting an explicit port number in the mailbox name, e.g.
  {imapserver.foo.com:143}INBOX
             o using SSL (the /ssl switch)
        + You can disable rsh globally by setting the rsh timeout value
          to 0 with the call:
   mail_parameters (NIL,SET_RSHTIMEOUT,0);

The instructions "/ssl switch" and
"mail_parameters (NIL,SET_RSHTIMEOUT,0);" riddle me.
There is
  https://ratfactor.com/slackware/alpine-config.html
with lots of explanations. Maybe the desired answers are in there.

I get my mail by POP and send by SMTP. Both via stunnel(8) because GMX
insists in encryption. (Possibly one can meanwhile configure alpine to do
the SSL encryption of SMTP on its own. My POP client runs externally.)
In my ~/.pinrc i see:

  # Sets the format of the command used to open a UNIX remote
  # shell connection.  The default is "%s %s -l %s exec /etc/r%sd"
  # NOTE: the 4 (four) "%s" entries MUST exist in the provided command
  # where the first is for the command's path, the second is for the
  # host to connect to, the third is for the user to connect as, and the
  # fourth is for the connection method (typically "imap")
  rsh-command=

If i'd find a non-empty content there, i'd try whether making it empty
and setting something senseful to ssh-command= and ssh-path= will
avoid the rsh problems.

(The proposed content of that value looks like a sprintf(3) format
 string. Let's hope that alpine applies some checks before using it.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas