On Sat, 25 Nov 2023, Tixy wrote:

On Sat, 2023-11-25 at 13:49 +0000, Tixy wrote:
On Sat, 2023-11-25 at 11:46 +0000, Tim Woodall wrote:
OK. This is weird! Something is joining those two lines.

Not at this end it isn't. For me, all 3 of your diffs look the same on
screen and are binary the same apart from the space you deleted in the
third one.

Perhaps your MUA is treating it as being in quoted-printable encoding?

I've just looked at the message on the web archive [1] and see that
shows the lines joined before you removed the space after the '=',
perhaps that's what you were looking at?

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/11/msg00898.html

I wasn't looking at that but yes, that's exactly what I was seeing.

When I view them in alpine, both the versions in sent-mail and the
versions in debian-user look like that, with the lines joined.

If I "postpone" the message and then continue editing the lines do not
get merged (I tested this while composing the previous messages)

After your email (thanks) I went and checked the Maildir. All the
messages are correct with the linebreak - so they've gone out from
alpine, thirough various mailservers to debian-user and then back
through more to my Maildir and nothing has corrupted them.

Interestingly, and I didn't think to try this before because my emails
are plain text, hitting `H' (full header mode) does display the message
correctly with the linebreak.

My guess is that it's an unfortunate interaction of using vim as my
editor, alpine setting format=flowed and that diff having a trailing
space.

I think, therefore, alpine (and the webserver you linked to) are
correctly reflowing these two lines. At some point I need to see if
there's a way to get alpine (or vim) to warn about this situation or
maybe a different header would be more appropriate as I do not have
:set fo+=w so I do not normally have trailing spaces (and vim does
highlight them for me so I knew it was there but I left it in
deliberately.

Now I know about this I can avoid it - but a better header would seem to
be appropriate given that I do not use this feature.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16282728/how-do-i-compose-format-flowed-emails-that-include-hanging-indents-with-vim

Tim.