On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 15:57:28 -0700
Charles Curley <charlescur...@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> My FIT-PCs that provide network services are getting old, and i386
> Linux is slowly fading away. So I would like to replace them with a
> router/gateway computer.

Thank you all for much useful advice. I ended up with an ACEMAGIC T8
Plus. https://www.acemagic.com/collections/minipcs/products/t8plus

Debian 12 installed nicely, with one glitch. I had shrunk the Windows
partition in order to install Debian, but left it otherwise intact.
However the thing insisted on booting to Windows.

To fix it, do the following:

To make the grub bootloader active after installing Linux and GRUB, in
the firmware:

During boot, hit escape or delete to get into the firmware.

Security -> Secure Boot -> Enabled

Boot -> UEFI BBS Priorities -> Debian boot option

Save & Exit -> Save Changes and Exit

I now get GRUB, which will boot either Debian or Windows.

Note: Memtest86 does not appear to work. I believe that is a known
problem with UEFI machines.

I am now busy moving network service over to the new machine.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/