On Mon, Dec 4, 2023, 2:23 AM Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:

> Charles Curley (12023-12-03):
> > True. None the less, there is at least one perfectly good use for
> > telnet: testing connections to servers.
>
> Wrong. The telnet client is not entirely transparent, as the telnet
> protocol defines an escape octet to introduce commands.

The show-stopper early-internet issue was that the protocol did not hash,
encrypt or secure the exchange of credentials at session start time.

If you want to test a network protocol, you should use a really
> transparent client. Traditionally people use netcat (nc), but it handles
> EOF approximatively.

There's a little chunk of perl in the Camel book that does what you want on
any port you want. In the 2nd edition it's pg. 349-351.

For that use, I strongly recommend socat.