On 08/12/2023 18:13, John Hasler wrote:

I wrote:
No support when it doesn't, though.

Okay.

I was never able to get it to complete a phone call.  Attempts produced
inconsistent results.  Some results of searches indicated that the card
might need to be activated on another phone (I didn't have one) but a
hardware problem seems more likely.  Inquiries on the forums produced no
results.  I successfully installed Mobian but that did not help.  Too
bad: it does everything I want except make phone calls.

Sad to hear. My copy worked, phone calls were great. You could have
contacted them to get a replacement, 100% faulty phone calls means
Qualcomm modem was faulty. But I assume you contacted them and were
unhappy with the result, hence your negative opinion on provided
customer support, or lack thereof.

From my experience, I felt that the only thing it needed was more
polished software and GUI experience, like in Android phones. Mobian
apps were slow and clunky, crashed sometimes and were misaligned, but
hardware itself, in my sample, worked as intended. Maybe except for rare
random GSM modem hangs, which required reboot to work again. Overall, I
was happy with it because my expectations were adequate.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/