On Sun 10 Dec 2023 at 19:48:29 (+0100), to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 01:28:20PM -0500, songbird wrote:
> > <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > > That's why I cringe when people name executables "foo.sh". What do you
> > > do when you decide to rewrite the thing in C (or Rust, or whatever)?
> > >
> > > Do you go over all calling sites and change the caller's code?
> >
> >   no, i would just consider it a transition or a change
> > in versions.  :)
>
> Again. You have one script, say /usr/local/bin/ring-the-bells.sh
> You use it in several other scripts. If you now re-implement it
> in your favourite Pascal as ring-the-bells.pas or something, you
> go over all your executables and fix that?

I've done that sort of thing, generally between bash and python.
It's so simple to implement with a symlink, ring-the-bells, that
points to the preferred version.

But there's some topic drift here. Most people are emailing
documents rather than executables most of the time. Should
I assume this disapproval of metadata in the filename doesn't
apply to them?

> IMO an executable name should indicate /what/ an executable does,
> not /how/.

AIUI executables fall into a different class, as the kernel can
recognise them by their magic number and take account of that.
You can't do that with the metadata inside, say, a PDF.

Cheers,
David.