On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 02:58:01PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

[...]

> I do not care about the "microsoft world", and I doubt that this is
> required there at the low level (what would be the equivalent of the
> Linux kernel) [...]

This depends: the FAT file system (which still is the lowest common
denominator) actually reserves 8 chars for the file name and three
for the --ahem-- extension. The dot isn't encoded explicitly on-disk.

DOS itself treats some extensions especially (.BAT, .COM, .EXE);
since Windows > 3.1 I (luckily!) lost track of whatever shenanigans
Microsoft has been up to.

Cheers