Hello,

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 10:42:33AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> Persuant to the dhcpd discussion, I have install a local isc-dhpd-server. I
> setup a $20 wide block, starting at 192.168.71.100

I'm going to take a guess that you mean your pool is from .100 to
.119 (or .120?) as I've never in my life heard or seen the phrase "a
$20 wide block".

> then setup 3 host entries. I have it working but apparently I need some
> clarification as a status request gets me a squawk about the host paragraph
> that is actually working:
> -------------------
> Dec 16 09:47:16 coyote dhcpd[1895]: Dynamic and static leases present for
> 192.168.71.110.

It just means that you have a declaration for 192.168.71.110 while
also having a dynamic range that includes 192.168.71.110. dhcpd will
generally know it has assigned 192.168.71.110 already and not hand
it out when asked, so this is just a warning, but it is better
fixed.

> Q#1:Is this telling me I should move that mac's assignment to .90 or .121,
> out of that "pool" from $100 to $120? Or move the pool so 110 does clash
> with it?

Whichever you prefer. Just don't have static assignments that use
IPs from a range you hand out dynamically.

> Q#2: can the current phrase host "printer" be replaced by the alias in the
> servers /etc/hosts file?

I don't understand the question, sorry. You can call your hosts
whatever you like.

Show us the "host" block you have now and what you would like it
to be, if you want to ask questions about it, but I don't see what
issue it will make to call it whatever.

> is it safe in a closed environment to use the same mac string in a
> host description by just incrementing the last hex byte of the
> dummy mac and the last .nnn of the address assigned?

You already made a choice as to what MAC address to use, so I fail
to see what relevance DHCP has here. Once you've decided what MAC
address you're setting, use that and put it in DHCP. Or are you
asking what MAC addresses are safe for you to use, generally?

Locally Administered MAC address ranges are any of:

    X2‑XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    X6‑XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    XA‑XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    XE‑XX-XX-XX-XX-XX