On 12/16/23 00:26, Anssi Saari wrote:
Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> writes:

In Gene's case, the problem (long startup time of some applications) does
not appear to be related to his disks, but rather, to something in the
desktop environment or its underlying services.

But isn't it fairly easy to try another desktop environment to eliminate
this as a cause? Or has this already been done?

AIUI Gene already has several desktop environments installed on the same computer. This has led to the theory that those multiple desktop environments are clashing in some way that affects disk I/O for certain applications.

For the RAID stuff, I think Gene said earlier he could try putting his
home directory on an ordinary drive? To eliminate the RAID as a problem.

Gene and various readers have proposed more than a few trouble-shooting strategies, possible solutions, and work-arounds, including the above. It is up to Gene to decide if, what, where, when, and how he is going to proceed.

David