On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 09:36:44PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I copied the file to another computer in the LAN, ran LaTeX and dvips,
and sent it to the same printer,  but the file hung at the same spot.

Any chance you can use `pdflatex` instead of `latex + dvips`?
Have you tried to manually convert the PS to PDF before sending to
the printer? or to convert straight from DVI to PDF?
Nowadays PS is becoming a curiosity, so you may have better luck with
PDF (there's a chance the problem is unrelated, of course).

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am a dinosaur; I have been running
Debian since A.D.2000, and I have done things pretty much as I was
taught by the guru who got me running.  Are you saying that I can
print to a printer which does not have PostScript?  (All of my
printers, which now are quite old, have PostScript.)

P.S.  I remember using LPR and the switch to LPRNG, and then the
switch to CUPS.  And now driverless CUPS.

RLH