On 1/7/24 10:48, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 07/01/2024 02:17, gene heskett wrote:
If debian is going to supply systemd's timesyncd as a client, I expected a bookworm install to just work. It did not and without docs I have to pester the list, which has gotten me a bad rep because the lack of docs for this stuff has me in a screw google frame of mind by the time I get around to asking the list.  Lately, everytime I go anywhere near google or a gmail link I get attacked by a virus that calls itself norton antivirus. That is an oxymoron, like military intelligence.

I have no idea what malware you have on your machines.

systemd-timesyncd is a NTP-client, not a server. It is shipped with man pages and works out of the box (of course, if network is properly configured).

Is it supposed to be installed by the net-installer? There does not seem to be any man pages other than the bog std stuff. When I found the /etc/systemd/timesyncd I immediately asked the system for man timesyncd, got this:
gene@coyote:/etc$ man timesyncd
No manual entry for timesyncd

So one of the first things I did, after getting an orca-less install ( that took about 26 installs before someone said I had to unplug ALL my usb stuff which other than keyboard/mouse buttons I did leave plugged in because the only other stuff I had here was ps2 based, finally getting an orca-less install, all the other installs were because bookworm with orca removed by removing the exec bits of the executables because apt wouldn't purge it, will not reboot without them forcing a reinstall any time I had to reboot) and getting t-bird setup so I could do email was to install ntpsec, which can be a server. and worked as a client OOTB. Even if timesyncd might have worked, its not a server as you note.
But if there are man pages on timesyncd, that is not what they are named.

Now I decide to use this ntpsec install as a server to the rest of my systems here, thereby unloading the debian pool a bit, and the lack of docs bytes me again. I'm playing the 10,000 monkeys re-writing Shakespear scene here and catching it for not using google, and got the help I needed from John's post to look at manpages.org. And that seems to have started another endless thread I'll get blamed for. My lack of man pages has been asked, and ignored before, so I'll ask again:

What package contains the manpages for a bookworm amd64 install I expect to do anything I might want to do?

Take care, stay warm, well, and unvaxed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis