On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 10:57 AM <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> Yes, the main reason for the separation of /usr has more or less
> disappeared with the arrival of initramfs, but still... why.

To some extent, it will make it easier for packaging.

Look at any package built using autoconf, for instance, you run:
./configure --prefix=/usr

Well, except for those you want installed in /, in which case you use
'--prefix=/'

But, what if you don't want all of those in /, you want some in / and
some in /usr?  Requires more manual work on part of the package
maintainer to make sure that things work properly, that files are
split across the destinations properly, reference config files
appropriately, and so on.

With usrmerge, that particular class of problems goes away.

Back when I used my own home grown distribution (I was doing Linux
>From Scratch before LFS was even a thing), that was one of the issues
I'd run into every once in a while.

mrc