On 11/01/2024 03:25, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 07:19:41PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> writes:
What is the output of the "hostname" command?

It's: `thinkpad'.

What is the output of "grep -F $(hostname) /etc/hosts"?

  127.0.1.1       caterina-thinkpad.home  caterina-thinkpad

There's the problem, then.  You do not have "thinkpad" as an entry in
your /etc/hosts file, so the system is unable to lookup "the IP address"
for its own hostname.  X sessions tend to frown upon that.

Adding "thinkpad" to the 127.0.1.1 line should take care of this.  You
can retain the other fields, and simply use thinkpad as a second alias.

I would say that it is better to fix discrepancy between (likely) /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and to use a consistent name. If "thinkpad" is the preferred one then update /etc/hosts otherwise check

     hostnamectl

and update (as root)

     hostnamectl hostname caterina-thinkpad

There was a thread that "home" as the top level domain might not be really safe (somebody might register it). A reserved domain is "home.arpa" so e.g. to have "thinkpad", the /etc/hosts entry should be

127.0.1.1       thinkpad.home.arpa thinkpad

I have not tried it, but I expect that startx should have no issues with output redirection, so to capture its messages to a file

     startx |& tee /tmp/startx-messages.txt

Another places to look for errors are ~/.xsession-errors and

    journalctl -b --user