phoebus phoebus <frphoe...@yahoo.fr> writes:

> We have noticed that PuTTY allows "passthrough" printing but
> unfortunately, it only works unidirectionally and requires the use of
> a serial software printer which also supports only unidirectional
> flow. While PuTTY can manage connections to devices via the serial
> port bidirectionally, it does not provide a solution to manage
> "passthrough" printing directly to the COM port. This configuration is
> described in the PuTTY documentation
> (https://documentation.help/PuTTY/config-printing.html).

Is this also true of the Linux version of Putty? I've never used it but
it's packaged in Debian. Also I wonder what it is you mean with
"bidirectionally" here. Do you expect to read data from the printer and
send it back?

Another thing I found with a quick search is screen. While screen is a
terminal multiplexer, it has a user controllable setting printcmd for
printing:

"printcmd [cmd]

If cmd is not an empty string, screen will not use the terminal
capabilities "po/pf" if it detects an ansi print sequence ESC [ 5 i, but
pipe the output into cmd.  This should normally be a command like "lpr"
or "'cat > /tmp/scrprint'".  printcmd without a command displays the
current setting.  The ansi sequence ESC \ ends printing and closes the
pipe.  Warning: Be careful with this command! If other user have write
access to your terminal, they will be able to fire off print commands."

>From that description you should be able to set printcmd to for example
cat > /dev/ttyUSB_whatever and the remote printing will go there.