> Now, after the disk_image has arrived, it looks very odd. fdisk
> thinks it is 8 times bigger than it really is, and thinks it has 4K
> sectors. I can't use "kpartx" to get at the partition inside it, and
> fsck.ext4 doesn't like its first partition at all.

Thanks for this experiment.  I was lucky enough not to bump into such
a weird situation and it had never occurred to me that the underlying
block size would "show through" an LV.

> Is there any way to make this work?

[ A quick look at Wikipedia suggests that a GPT partition table won't
  help because that also uses "block" addresses (LBA).  ]

Do you need a partition table?
What happens if you use diskimages that contain directly a filesystem
without going through the trouble of using a partition table?
Does `ext4` also get tripped by the different underlying block size?

        Stefan