On 1/15/24 16:51, David Christensen wrote:
On 1/15/24 06:45, gene heskett wrote:
On 1/15/24 02:45, David Christensen wrote:
On 1/14/24 11:48, gene heskett wrote:
On 1/14/24 07:42, David Christensen wrote:
... the 2dn seagate 2T drive failure was my amanda vtapes drive, and bookworm has been such a headache I not managed to restart it since all the helper scripts I've written over the last 20+ years were either on the main drive of on the vtapes drive, so I'm restarting from square one.

That is a good reason to use a version control system.  Once you have one, you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

ATM I have rsync in its 7nth attempt to make a copy of the nominally 350G in /home, and its now working again, very slowly with a --bwlimit=5m.

350 G / 5 M/s * 1000 M/G = 70000 s, or about 19 hours.

IOW these taiwanese gigastone 2T SSD drives cannot handle data in big gulps. the copy locked me up and needed the reset button twice already this morning at 20m and 10m, so now trying 5m. These drives, if 5m allows it to complete, will get a damning review on amazon if only 5m allows it to work. U-sd cards are faster than that.

I think your computer has numerous issues, including storage.  Unless and until you benchmark the Gigastone SSD's in a stripped-down machine with a reference OS and tool set, I would not blame the Gigastone SSD's.

Ah,but I finally glombed onto the bug tan memory bar in htop as it was runniing, someplace in the data chain is a huge memory leak, my crash is caused by the OOM daemon killing things. And it only occurs when I run rsync. Only takes it 10 minute to eat 32G of memory, then 500k into swap, and the OOM daemon start killing the system until there's nothing left to run.

David

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)