On 16/01/2024 12:36, David Christensen wrote:
My Debian, Thunderbird, and message filters are working very well.  :-)

My experience is that enough garbage appears in thunderbird profiles after several years of usage. Unsubscribed NNTP groups, IMAP caches that thunderbird considered corrupted, so another one with -1 suffix appear, server-side changes of folder name encodings, etc.

One complaint is that Mozilla included whitespace in file and directory names, which we all know causes grief when using the shell:

.thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders

While thunderbird is not running, you may try to rename the profile inside prefs.js and the directory on the disk. I have no idea if global search index will be affected by such rename.

.thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders/Unsent Messages.msf
.thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders/Unsent Messages

It should be possible to use another folder for this purpose.

.thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he.net/Deleted Messages.msf

Thunderbird may use another folder. Perhaps server might insist that such name must exist. It should be possible to unsubscribe from this folder, but I would not call it a bullet-proof solution.