Hi,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 02:52:49PM -0500, Default User wrote:
> By "glitch", I mean anything that could interfere with the rsync copy
> process.  Possible causes:
> - electrical outages, voltage spikes, voltage drops, "brownouts"
> - mechanical failure
> - earthquake
> - lightning
> - cat walking on keyboard
> - out of memory errors
> - out of disk space errors
> - PEBKAC errors
> - etc.

But, both --delete and --delete-after only delete things from the
destination that ALREADY are missing on the source, so in which of
the above situations would something that still exists somewhere be
accidentally deleted with either option?

In my view the only ones that apply would be human error / cat
standard behaviour but even then you'd have to notice it had
happened and abort the transfer before rsync has chance to do the
delete. Do you typically sit and watch these transfers? It doesn't
sound like any kind of backup to me if it doesn't have history,
i.e. the state of your data *before* the cat walked on 'r' 'm' ' '

Thanks,
Andy