> I haven't tried it but I would assume that if the user exists then the
> package uses that.  So cresting a template /etc/passwd before
> installing packages would fix this.

That works, indeed.  Maybe Someone™ should develop a small "UGID server"
which integrates into Debian's `adduser/addgroup` system (i.e. those
tools would first ask the UGID server if that user has already been
allocated an ID and if not register a new ID for it), so you can run
such a server locally and tell Debian to use it so that all your
machines share the same UID/GID namespace.

        Stefan