On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 12:53:22AM -0500, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
>   ... and I found the stuff I needed to get my desktop
> the way I wanted it.  I am very happy about it.

Nice.  Thanks for reporting back.

> Now I just have to ... with my ...

Yeah, right.

> Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Good ways to express appreciation is by actual meeting the people.
On mailinglists does mean meeting them half way, meet on common ground.

Think "help those from whom you want help".  For starters a Subject line
that matches message body content. Good subject lines are a huge help
with "What is it about?". Good subject lines also transmit "I have put
effort in composing my email, you are invited to put in further effort".
And yes, bad subject lines transmit "Minimal effort from my side,
expecting minimal effort from your side" also "Here laziness, tell me
what I can buy with it".

The real challenge goes inside the email. Aim for "very good", settle
for "good", stay away from "good enough" for others and stay away for
"perfect" for yourself. Go for "interresting for all", avoid "I have
a problem and you must help me".

Ahd there is another import thing. Understand "world wide", understand
the concept of time zones. People on this mailinglist are from across
the globe, so from different time zones by definition. It means seeing
much emails that were written while you were sleeping, it means you will
be writing email for some that are sleeping. Do NOT assume that
recievers does know what preciously has been written, so do not top
post. Reply below precious text. Make it possible that your audience can
read in the discussion order. When I see "top post", I think "the life
form does not know to whom they are writing". And wonder "What else are
they missing?".

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--