Am 02.02.2024 schrieb Ralph Aichinger <r...@h5.or.at>:

> In my quest to advance the IPv6 preparedness of my home LAN I want to
> find a solution to use IP tokens on all my clients. IP tokens (keeping
> the host part of the IPv6 address static while getting the subnet part
> by SLAAC) seem very elegant to me, because it avoids DHCPv6
> completely, and still makes mostly working DNS records possible.
>
> Opinions on SLAAC+IP tokens are welcome ;)

The process of the automatic generation is called SLAAC, regardless of
the identifier being used.
In the past the default was to use EUI-64 and have the MAC address in
the address. If that is suitable for you (privacy!), use that.

> One of my clients is a surface laptop running Debian sid, Gnome,
> NetworkManager and getting connection via WiFi. The first hickup with
> this is, that seemingly ra is disabled on my NetworkManager configured
> device wl0:
>
> root@surface:~# ip token set ::5fac dev wl0
> Error: ipv6: Router advertisement is disabled on device.
>
> This can easily corrected with
>
> echo 1 >  /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wl0/accept_ra
>
> But: Is this a misconfiguration on my machine, or to be expected, when
> using NetworkManager? I am using the following settings in the GUI:
> IPv5: "Disable", IPv6 "Automatic". Do I risk messing up other stuff by
> manually setting this eg. with the help of /etc/sysctl.conf?

Use the NetworkManager to configure that.
Automatic means using SLAAC (if available in the RA) and DHCPv6 (if
available in the RA).

> But what is the correct way to do this "ip token set" with
> NetworkManager (or in spite of NetworkManager ;)?

# nmcli c mod enp4s0 ipv6.addr-gen-mode eui64
# nmcli c mod enp4s0 ipv6.token ::deca:fbad:c0:ffee

You need EUI-64 for that. Disable the Privacy extensions completely if
you don't like an ADDITIONAL address with a randomly generated
interface identifier that changes time to time.