On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 03:20:46PM -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 17:37 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 02:30:54PM -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
> > > Years ago, I knew the name of the routines one could use to have some
> > > stdin history and be able to edit it, like you can do in XTerm or
> > > gnuplot or ....
> > >
> > > I can't remember them now, or find them.
> >
> > I think you're talking about the readline library, which is used by bash
> > (I assume that's what you meant by "XTerm") and some other programs.
> >
> > What, exactly, are you trying to do?
>
> I'm hoping to convince Intel to add it to the stdin runtime support for
> ifx and ifort Fortran compilers.

The readline library is released under the full GPL, not the LGPL.  If
you dynamically link it with a program, then you can only release that
program under terms compatible with the GPL.  This is an intentional
choice.

I don't know anything about those two programs, but if they aren't already
being released under the GPL, I doubt Intel would choose to do it just to
add readline support.

You might have better results advocating for libedit, as Thomas suggested.

Or, if your *actual goal* is to have better editing in these programs
for your own *personal* use, rather than changing the world, maybe you
could just run them under the rlwrap program.

unicorn:~$ apt-cache show rlwrap
[...]
Description-en: readline feature command line wrapper
 This package provides a small utility that uses the GNU readline library
 to allow the editing of keyboard input for any other command.  Input
 history is remembered across invocations, separately for each command;
 history completion and search work as in bash and completion word lists
 can be specified on the command line.