On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 01:38:56PM +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>   >> sudo df -h /
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda3        36G   35G  100M 100% /

First off: you don't need sudo for this, ever.

Second: what kind of file system is this?

> sudo du -hPx --max-depth=1 /
> 0     /mnt
> 181M  /boot
> 15M   /etc
> 0     /media
> 236M  /opt
> 336K  /root
> 0     /srv
> 4.0K  /tmp
> 8.1G  /usr
> 726M  /var
> 9.2G  /

So I guess the question is "Where's the rest of that 35 G used data?"

Conspicuously missing from this output is /home.  Is that a separate
file system?  If so, you *could* have data inside the /home directory
of the root file system, which is hidden by the /home file system that's
mounted over it.  You'd need to unmount /home to check.  It's not a
super probable situation, but it's worth checking.

The same applies to any other directory that's got a file system mounted
on it.

Or... it could be some bizarre btrfs crap.  If this is a btrfs.