Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 10:17:17AM +0100, Michael wrote:
> i very much dislike the fact that my systems do things i am not aware of.

I think one of the purposes of a Linux distribution is to pull
together a collection of disparate software of their choosing and
make default decisions for their users.

I find it hard to believe that you bother to delve into the
behaviour of your system in most other ways, but suddenly you've
become aware of a systemd timer and now it's a problem for you. None
of this is hidden. You've been able to read this script and work out
how it works.

Do you also build your own kernels so you can personally sign off on
every kernel config choice, or do you trust the Debian kernel team's
ideas about what should be built in, modularised or not available at
all?

For me it's a problem when things can't be customised. I expect
default choices to be made but I don't expect to agree with 100% of
them. That's OK.

Thanks,
Andy