On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 06:05:26PM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> May I interject a different perspective?
> what brings greater freedom, asking that words be changed by many, that some
> see, no matter how justified from their view as harmful?  Or teaching those
> people how to free themselves from being controlled by those words?

Not using the words doesn't remove the injustice. I'm not that naïve. It's
just a question of politeness.

As an example: I left the Christian religion long time ago. If I visit a
church (to admire its architecture, for example), I behave with a modicum
of respect and restrain myself of farting aloud. If I visit a mosque (I'm
not a Muslim) I take off my shoes.

Because I know there are people in there who might well be offended by some
behaviour.

It's that easy.

> Yes, your goals may be honorable to be sure, but in the end do not the words
> still win if the control remains?

Removing the injustice is a much longer process, and it's important to
put a lot of work in it. The above is just a friendly acknowledgement
"yes, I see you". Just politeness. Not more.

After all, I try to be polite to you too (I might fail at that, dunno).

Cheers