On 15/03/24 at 03:53, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 13/03/2024 23:53, Franco Martelli wrote:
On 13/03/24 at 16:06, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 13/03/2024 21:52, Franco Martelli wrote:

They can coexist. NetworkManager in default configuration ignores interfaces under control of ifupdown (/etc/network/interfaces).

Detailed messages from NetworkManager related to carrier change events are missed in the posted log file, so the interface is configured by ifupdown.

Sorry Max I always knew that they cannot, my mistake…

My fault was that I tried to find NetworkManager manager messages in dmesg log. I have never tried to enable control of ifupdown interfaces in NetworkManager. In my opinion, on laptops commenting out interface in /etc/network/interfaces and so delegating it to NetworkManager has a clear advantage. Plugged in cable is detected immediately. With dhclient running by ifupdown, it may take some minutes till next DHCP request is sent.

Thanks for clarification, I never installed NetworkManager so this it seemed to me new.

The system may have significant changes in respect to defaults. Concerning NetworkManager, the following commands might give some additional info

    networkctl
    nmcli device
    nmcli connection
    /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config

I am unsure if the line in /etc/network/interfaces had some effect since device name is enp19s0 and the file contained eth0.