On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 6:02 PM Paul M Foster <pa...@quillandmouse.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 06:47:10PM +0000, jmax wrote:
>
> > Dear Brothers and Sisters:
> >
> > I am interested in starting some debian projects.  As a homosexual,
> > debian-using, black, I am surprised at the low numbers of black and/or
> LGBT
> > members of the debian community. I believe that starting debian-niggers,
> and
> > debian-gay or debian-lgbt projects would help to increase participation
> of
> > the respective parties in the debian community.
>
> I'm not your brother or sister, and not part of your demographic, and I
> really don't care whether you do or don't start a SIG on black or LGBT
> Debian interests.
>
> However, the word "nigger" is plainly offensive. It's been offensive for
> decades, and most recently, whites have been entirely prohibited from
> using the word, upon pain of death, while blacks readily use it with
> impunity.
>
> If you're going to start a SIG for black/LGBT Debianistas, I'd politely
> request you do so without resorting to inflammatory language. I imagine the
> term "debian-blacks" would serve just as well without aggravating an
> already
> strongly divided world.

Yeah I'd probably be ok with debian-blacks, but someone will probably
complain. I think it could be good for the community if it did come true.

> In fact, I suspect the less we pay attention to skin color, the better off
> we all will be.

Sadly we have no choice on this these days. We probably also have to create
debian-yellows now, and while we're at it, debian-rainbow or debian-pride
might be more politically correct.

It's difficult to come up with names sometimes, but I'm sure we're up to
the job.