Hi,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 07:00:40AM +0100, Micke Nordin wrote:
> What will Debian do with regard to the Redis announcement that
> they will go proprietary[0]?

There isn't really any choice as it's no longer free software. So at
best it gets moved into non-free I suppose (it is still source
available) if anyone has the will. It seems likely that the
maintainer will not have the will to see it moved to non-free. You'd
have to ask them.

As for what if anything replaces it, it is more down to if anyone
has the will and interest to package things. I expect there'll be
some alternatives packaged, since it's a popular use case.

> Fedora seems to be moving fast to get rid of Redis[1] and maybe we
> should start thinking about this too?

It won't require much thinking. 😀

It's not a matter for debate whether it qualifies for the main
archive - it doesn't.

> Redict is a very new project, and a direct result of the license
> change. The KeyDB project have been a round for a while and is in
> heavy use by Snapchat, but does not see a heavy invetment in time
> from them, so development is quite slow.

When it comes to Debian it's more about will anyone put in the work.
There is no central authority saying, "the project needs to replace
Redis. Let us select XYZ as its replacement." — as there might be
in, say, Fedora, where FESCo would make decisions like that. Debian
doesn't work that way.

There is no barrier to both KeyDB and Redict being packaged, other
than there being maintainers to do it.

You may like to submit a Request For Packaging bug for one or both,
though again, may not get very far unless someone is already
interested in doing it.

Thanks,
Andy