Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 09:24:23PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Does anyone know of another way to obtain random data from devices of
> this kind?

I have some EntropyKeys and some OneRNGs. I have the rngd packaged
in Debian feeding /dev/random from them.

This had an actual noticeable effect in Debian 9 and earlier, but
since the reworking of Linux's random subsystem I cannot demonstrate
any benefit unless I disable all use of the RDRAND CPU instruction.

EntropyKey is a dead product that can no longer be obtained but
OneRNG is still in production. On their mailing list however, there
is a recent discussion about whether there any point. The conclusion
seems to be "not really". Thread starts here:

    http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/discuss/2024-March/000797.html

The thread covers how to make rngd feed /dev/random from a OneRNG in
Debian 12, but it is no longer possible to tell if that does
anything useful.

I most likely will not be replacing these devices when they fail.

Thanks,
Andy