When playing videos in a web browser, and sending the sound to a
bluetooth speaker (amazon echo) I get playback problems; stuttering,
sound quality reduction to AM radio level or lower). These things can
clear up after a minute or two, or be reduced.

When playing from nvlc however I get no such problems. (I haven't tried
vlc so I am not sure if it is just that it is a command line).

I have tried google-chrome and firefox-esr.

Perhaps there is some other browser which will work? Maybe I need to
isolate the process from the browser? I tried pop-out picture on you
tube and it improved but there was still stuttering.