On 4/1/24 11:35, DdB wrote:
> A friend of mine just let me use an external CD-Drive with the netboot
> image. ... all is well.

Now you get to solve the same problem I have been stuck on since last November -- how to use those HDD's.

ZFS has been my bulk storage solution of choice for the past ~4 years, but the recent data corruption bugs [1, 2] have me worried. From a technical perspective, it's about incorrect concurrent execution of GNU cp(1), Linux, and/or OpenZFS. From a management perspective, it's about Capability Maturity Model (CMM) [3] and Programming Systems Product (PSP) [4].

The most obvious alternative to ZFS on Debian would be Btrfs. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding Btrfs and data corruption bugs, concurrency, CMM level, PSP, etc.?

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding how to use magnetic hard disk drives, commodity x86 computers, and Debian for long-term data storage with ensured integrity?

David

[1] https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/15526

[2] https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/15933

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_maturity_model