Hi,

I wrote:
> > (You forgot to Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org.
> > Consider to send your mail to the list address, too. I too would then
> > resend my following reply to the list.)

Since my "following reply" is quoted in Jonathan Chung's reply to the list
i don't have to resend it. (I gave my opinion that the problem is not a
bug in the context of Debian 12 or 13 and pointed to
https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial for a private fix of the problem.)

Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Your problem is one that plagues Linux. You compile and link against
> one version of a library, and then you runtime link against another
> version.

This should not be a problem with a well maintained library which cares
to stay ABI compatible with its older releases.
In the present case it was a bug in the loading program pigz which
prevented zlib from being usable.

> I consider it a
> security bug since essentially random libraries are being loaded at
> runtime.
> To fix the problem yourself, add an RPATH to your LDFLAGS when
> building your program:
>     -Wl,-rpath=/path/to/expected/libz -Wl,--enable-new-dtags

Well, this is nearly as unflexible as static compilation but does not
seem to prevent the use of a replaced library at the given path.

Using .so files has its advantages and disadvantages. For a distro the
advantage (without the pigz bug) is that customers of different versions
of a library can be consolidated to using the newest available version.
An advantage for the user is that bugs in a library can be fixed without
the need for re-building all its customers.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas