On 31/03/2024 22:35, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 31 Mar 2024 at 09:42:37 (+0300), Antti-Pekka Känsälä wrote:
But I'm worried my Gmail in Firefox is capable of stealing
files off my USB stick.

I've no answer for that, particularly in view of Max's reply
to my previous post.

I've always copied files to and from USB sticks, floppy disks, CDs,
etc), using the hard disk as a staging area.

I think, it is a reasonable approach when combined with other measures.

Frankly speaking, I am not convinced that there is something weird with Gmail and Firefox.

If you do not trust Gmail as a web application, use a mail application that supports IMAP.

Isolate applications you do not trust and do not expose your private files to them. There is a number of possibilities, but neither is perfect:
- multiple system users and file permissions combined with ACLs
- virtual machines
- mount, user and other namespaces, e.g. the following options
- containers
- tools like firejail and bubblewrap
- flatpak and snap (designed for some kind of isolation, but I am unsure if it may be configured to specific needs)

Mount a USB drive to a trusted environment and copy specific files to a location available to a suspicious application.