On Fri, Apr 5, 2024, 1:39 PM <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 12:27:03PM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> > Hi, All..
> >
> > This just hit my emails seconds ago. It's the most info that I've
> > personally read about the XZ backdoor exploit. I've been following
> > NextGov as a friendly, plain language resource about government:

> Continues to sound like one single perp is destroying the TRUST factor
> that an
> > untold number of future programmers must meet. That's heartbreaking.
>
> No, on the contrary. First of all, it is great that it has been
> caught /before/ it could cause much harm -- I

> So hardly new. What's special about this case is that the contributor
> had been working for the project for two years, thus earning trust
> with the community -- the most widespread notion seems to be that
> they had been planning the thing all along. I see at least another
> possible interpretation, that they started as a genuine contributor
> and wend bad, be it by bribing, coertion, or even replacement. Secret
> services and hackers (where's the difference, anyway?) are like
> that. Opportunists.
>
> Reminds us that trust is, at the root, a human thing, and thus sometimes
> fragile. As in Real Life, we need ways to recover.

And to me that's the most interesting thing about this incident too. It's a
good counter-example to the open-source "trust"-based model of software
development, simply by proving what we all knew: some people can't be
trusted but also can't be detected as untrustworthy. And it also shows a
"win" of that same development model, many eyes and a persistent mind who
didn't like things that didn't make sense.

But what if next time the back-doored software _does_ build without error?

Cheers