On 4/16/24 10:46, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2024-04-16 at 10:28, Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 02:21:27PM -0000, Curt wrote:

Have you tried *closing* one of the two windows, *quitting* the
remaining one, and then restarting your bird?

In his original message, he claimed that closing one window makes
the other one also close.

I asked *how* he was closing them, and he said that he gets the same
result whether he uses the WM's close button, or the application's
Exit menu choice.

 From what I saw in a Bugzilla bug report (which I think was linked to in
this thread?) about a similar behavior (dating back a good number of
years, and closed as - more or less - "not meaningfully fixable" or the
like), neither of those is what is needed.

What needs to happen, according to that analysis, is to close one of the
windows not by File -> Exit or File -> Quit, but by File -> Close. (In
my - severely obsolete - Thunderbird version, it's near the top of the
File menu, and has the associated keyboard shortcut Ctrl+W.)

Reportedly, after doing that, if you then quit the program entirely (by
any of the other available methods), when you re-launch it it will come
up with only one window.

Thank you, that fixed it!

The situation appears to be triggered by doing one of the UI actions
that causes Thunderbird to open a new "main" window - which can happen
by accident, e.g. by trying to detach a tab from the main Thunderbird
window (which apparently doesn't open a new window with just that tab,
but rather opens an entire new main Thunderbird window with the contents
of that tab active). That in turn can (I would expect) be done
accidentally by trying to drag a tab to a new position in the tab bar,
but unintentionally dropping it at a place which is instead treated as
outside of the window.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis