>> Actually I've been tempted to teach my mail reader to transform HTML
>> into some lightweight markup (yeah, you need a bit of heuristics for
>> that ;-) -- say Org, but why not its poor sister Markdown.
> Please don't settle for markdown. I would love a org filter!
> org-mode just handles tabular data admirably :)

Just beware that Org's code is generally written under the implicit
assumption that the Org document is trusted, so if you try to reuse
parts of Org's code to do the rendering be extra mindful of the
potential for security holes.
[ This applies to many other ELisp packages, of course; it's not
  exclusive to Org.  ]

        Stefan