On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 01:50:21PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 12:08 PM Paul M Foster <pa...@quillandmouse.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 12:54:31AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >[...]
> > > Also, I think you should be using *.home.arpa, and not *.lan.
> > > home.arpa is reserved for private use by ICANN and the IETF. I suspect
> > > *.lan is not reserved for private use.
> >
> > On a LAN, you can use anything you like. I've used .mars.lan for decades
> > with no difficulty.
>
> Citation, please.

No need. It just works. Of course, if you have domain names
in your LAN which also is "out there", you won't "see" both.

If your LAN is isolated, you can basically do whatever you
want.

And then there are "special" TLDs (.local, I'm looking at
you) where you'll get lots of fun effects should you decide
to use them (zeroconf, I'm looking at you :-)

That's the why of the above recommendation.

Cheers