I think it is something set via DHCP and is something coming from the DHCP server. Do you have a DHCP server on your network? If you are setting the IP address *statically* then it is in /etc/network/interfaces (/etc/network/interfaces.d/*) OR somewhere under /etc/NetworkManager/
At Wed, 30 Sep 2026 13:31:59 +0100 Chris Green <[email protected]> wrote: > > What's the 'right' way to set a system's domain name permanenty (i.e. > doesn't get lost when you reboot) on Debian systems? > > I don't think setting /etc/hostname to the FQDN is correct as, if you do > that, then 'hostname' returns the FQDN and it should only return the > host's name without the domain. > > I already have the following in /etc/hosts:- > > 127.0.1.1 t16.zbmc.eu t16 > > but this doesn't seem to have the required effect. > > It can't be done in /etc/resolv.conf as this file is generated (in my > case by Network Manager). Is there a Network Manager setting that will > put the domain name in resolv.conf? > -- Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364 Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Linux Administration Services [email protected] -- Webhosting Services

