Hello

Barry Skidmore (<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> I have formatted a floppy disk with the following command:
>
> # fdformat /dev/fd0h1440
>
> However, I am unable to mount it with the following command:
>
> # mount -f auto /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
> I receive an error message that it is not an msdos disk.

fdformat does not create an file system. It seems that the english man
page does not tell you this explicitly (the german man page does).
fdformat is used for low-level formatting. Use mkdosfs for creating
file systems. Or create an minix or ext2 file system. Whatever you
like. I would probably want to create a DOS file system for
compatibility reasons, but it is up to you to decide.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen