On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:48:34 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Also, he says that it runs on the PDP-11 and the Interdata 8/32, which
> contradicts my memory that it was developed on an earlier model DEC
> computer. But he does say that work on UNIX started in 1971. so maybe
> my memory is OK.

IIRC, original development was on a DED PDP-7 with, I believe, paper tape
and 4K of user memory, or core, as we used to call it :)  Purpose of the
original development was to play Space War.  It was then ported to a
PDP-11 which, I think had a whopping 16K or so of user memory, which might
be the box to which he is referring.

Humble beginnings, indeed!

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual