On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:54:03 -0600
Joel Konkle-Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I really want to get a copy of VMware, but I don't have $140 for the
> student version. So I'm looking for alternatives. I just want some
> kind of sandbox where I can test out new software, distros, etc,
> without rebooting into a seperate partition.
>
> What do other people use?
>

> --
> Joel Konkle-Parker
> Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]
>
> E-mail     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Phone      [662-518-1636]
>

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi
Well to just try out a chroot install, eg install another linux install
in a chroot enviroment so that you can run linux programs without doing
a reboot or something...and it is good for performance.
You can easyly install debian in a chroot eviroment (see the install
docs), and also gentoo if you like. I dont't know about the other
distribtions, but once they are installed you should be able to run it
without problems in a chroot enviroment. that way you can try out linux
software without any problems (no virtual network & you won't be able to
test kernels this way though.

yours
Albert

--