"Jacob S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:12:32 -0600
> "David Dyer-Bennet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The apt-get tool, from what little I've seen so far, is quite nice.  I
>> didn't find dependencies especially hard to manage in RedHat, though,
>> and apt-get seems to sacrifice the *really really useful* rpm -ql and
>> rpm -qf capabilities (asking for all the files in a package, and
>> asking for what package a file came from).  At least I haven't found
>> how to do it yet.
>
> dpkg -L <package_name> - lists the files installed by 'package_name'
>
> dpkg -S <file_name> - lists the package(s) that contain files matching
>                     the 'file_name' you entered.
>
> "man dpkg" for some more really helpful tools. It's not part of apt, but
> still uses Debian's great package management system. Both dpkg and apt
> have their own distinct and wonderful uses in my arsenal of tools.

Excellent, thanks.  I'd been thinking of there being only one tool!
oops.

>> As I say, despite having some troubles on the initial learning curve,
>> I'm still favorably inclined and expect to eventually convert my
>> systems to Debian.
>
> The fastest way I've found to learn Debian is to install it on your
> desktop machine and force yourself to use it, instead of resorting to
> whatever other OS may be installed to dual-boot. :-)

I've never actually had any dual-boot system.  And I can't seriously
consider any of the Unix systems for my desktop; they don't support
color management or photoshop.

Oops. that's not true, I *could* consider a Mac, which is now a Unix
system.  But not willing to pay the price in hardware and rebuying all
the software.

And I can't really throw myself in at the deep end by converting a
server without experimenting;  too many people and organizations are
dependent on these servers (the web server is pushing out more than 2
gigabytes per *day* of stuff).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>