Incoming from Mike Adolf:
> I would like to use kppp (in KDE) to establish an internet connection. When I
> execute it, as root, I get the following:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> kppp: cannot connect to X server :0.0
>
> What is it telling me?  How do I authorize kppp?

There's an answer for that, but you shouldn't use it to solve this
problem.  What you should do is add your regular user to the groups
dip and dialout, login as your user and kppp should work as you wanted.

The other answer is, X Window doesn't want anyone but the user who is
logged in to use the X Window display.  You can change that with
"xhost" (ie., "xhost +localhost"), login as the previously denied
root, "export DISPLAY=:0.0", then run the command that was previously
denied.  Note, read the manpage on xhost.  What I said above opens up
security for anyone on the box!

Like I said, don't run as root.  Don't stay logged into the root
account any longer than you have to.  With your privileged user added
to the right groups, you shouldn't have to except for the things root
really needs to be logged in for (installing, configuring, or deleting
software, auditing system log files, cleaning up, performing system
backups & restores, etc).

- -