On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 06:16:31PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> If you regularly use apt-get (instead of dselect, aptitude, or synaptic)
> it stores all the downloaded packages and does not delete them.  The
> other front ends either delete them immediately after installation or
> prompt you.

aptitude does neither deletes them nor prompts me to delete them.

I have a script to move the .debs from there into a local mirror, then
dpkg-scanpackage creates a Packages file referencing only the most
recent versions.  I then archive the non-referenced debs (the replaced
ones) into a directory named by date and time.

Local mirror and snapshots for rollback.  Braindead easy!