Incoming from Steve Lamb:
> Marty Landman wrote:
> >At 01:01 PM 2/18/2004, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >>you just can't make it without English in the US.
> >I don't know about that Paul; growing up in Brooklyn seemed to me like
> >everyone did quite nicely thank you.
>
>     I was unaware that Brooklyn was considered the whole of the United
> States.

Ah.  You're mixing up "subset" and "superset."  Paul said you can't
make it in the US, which includes the subset Brooklyn.  Marty called
him on it and noted English is not necessary in Brooklyn, a subset of
the US, thereby disproving Paul's assumption.

When I read Marty's reply, it seemed more a play on the idea that
Brooklyn-ites don't actually speak English.  Of course, there's a lot
of people from where I'm from who would dispute the suggestion that
English is spoken anywhere in the US.  I imagine the British might go
even farther and say anywhere outside the former British Empire.

- -