On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:38:44AM +0930, Ben Minton wrote:
> I have an 80 GB HDD that I wish to install Debian 3r1 onto. As I
> originally learnt howto Linux via RedHat I do not want to make this an
> exclusive Debian system (sorry, not yet).

No problem.  Or rather ... your problem -- see below.

> Current partition table is:
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1       510   4096543+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda2           511      1507   8008402+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda3          1508      1586    634567+  82  Linux swap

Share this one among the distributions (you won't be able to swsusp,
& the like.)

> /dev/hda4          1587      9729  65408647+   5  Extended
> /dev/hda5          1587      2209   5004216   83  Linux
> /dev/hda6          2210      2832   5004216   83  Linux

> /dev/hda1 contains a stripped down install of RH 9.0
> /dev/hda2 contains a full install of RH 9.0
> /dev/hda5 & 6 are 8GB partitions made using fdisk under RH 9.0
>
> >From URL:
> http://www.au.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html
[...]
> partitioning programs. We recommend that you do not attempt to create
> Debian Linux partitions using another operating system's tools. Instead,
[...]

I attempted to install RH twice.  The first time it asked whether I want
to fdisk manually, and it overwrote a partition after I answered that of
course I do.  The installed system didn't even boot.  Digging in the
logs revealed the zlib package could not be installed.  Needless to say,
there was no warning about this during the installation.  The second
time it happily mounted all the partitions it found without asking,
replaying journals &c.  I had suspended to disk playing dual-booting...

You'll be saved these horrors here -- Debian is never going to access
your disk without your consent.  And it shall scream in your face upon
an error, before proceeding any further.  As far as your fdisk was sane
enough, and you back up the MBR and all the other partition tables.  If
you know how trivial it is to restore a partition table after the things
get f*** up, you don't need to bother.  If you don't, take the warnings
seriously.

> Reading through all the documentation, I get the feeling that I should
> either trash the sys, reinstall Debian first, then repartition and
> reinstall the RedHat partitions or maintain the exisiting partitions
> that contain data, delete all the other ones and make them as required
> using the Debian partitoning tool?

Just do a just in case and proceed boldly.  :-) Fire up the install CD,
and just double check before you instruct Debian to access particular
partition, that it is really the partition you want.  Writing down which
partitions are supposed to contain what is a good idea.

HTH. HAND.

--
``You know those mail clients:  MS Outlook, mail(1), or even telnet(1).
  All of them suck.  This one just sucks less.''