In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Martin Lorenz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>The following occurs when I try to install a new version of udev...
>seems to be caused by 'initscripts', which is - I have no idea why - not
>installed on my system...
>
>not sure if I should file a bug. seems too trivial a problem to me?!

.. large dependency chain ..

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/apt# apt-get -u -m install mount
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  mount-aes
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>  mount
>WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
>This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>  mount-aes
>0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
>Need to get 134kB of archives.
>After unpacking 12.3kB disk space will be freed.
>You are about to do something potentially harmful
>To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
> ?] no
>Abort.

That's the problem. That "mount-aes" package. It's not in Debian
AFAICS, I have no idea where it came from. Initscripts Depends:
on a minimal version of mount, you don't have mount installed
but mount-aes instead which is not an official Debian package
and now you have dependency problems.

If you don't need mount-aes just install "mount" and do enter
'Yes, do as I say!' in the above dialog.

Mike.