apt-cache show
fontconfigDisplays fontconfig version to be
2.2.2-1

[code:1:565f94e986]aptitude show ~Astable
~nfontconfig[/code:1:565f94e986]
[code:1:565f94e986]aptitude show ~Aunstable
~nfontconfig[/code:1:565f94e986]
[code:1:565f94e986]aptitude show ~Aexperimental
~nfontconfig[/code:1:565f94e986]

All the above three display fontconfig version to be
[b:565f94e986]2.2.2-2[/b:565f94e986].

Does that mean fontconfig is version 2.2.2-2 in all distributions? Why
the difference in version displayed by apt-cache and aptitude?

Thanks !

David Clymer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 13:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> What arguement should I use with 'apt-cache search' and 'apt-file
> search' to specific the distribution?
>
> Eg. If I want to search for source packages (or normal packages) in
> unstable distribution, what would the complete command for
'apt-cache
> search' and 'apt-file search'?
>
> AFAIK, you cant restrict your apt-cache search by branch. I think
it
> just searches all package lists fetched from the sources in your
> /etc/apt/sources.list. However, if you know the package name, you
can
> use apt-cache policy <package name> to see a list of all
available
> packages (from all branches) with the specified name along with
their
> versions, apt-get sources, and installation status.

aptitude allows you to do this. Used as a command line tool (rather
than
in curses-gui mode) I find it to be a welcome improvement over apt-get

for most uses.

Following is a simple form to do what you want:

'aptitude search ~Astable~n<search-term>'

or, 'aptitude search ~Astable~d<search-term>'

~A<archive-to-search>
~n<term-in-name>
~d<term-in-description>

Read /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README for the full list of available
search modifiers.

dircha

.