On 20 Apr 2004, Deboo wrote:

[snip]

>    What can be done if/when apt-get/aptitude/dpkg are unable to either
>    install nor uninstall a package and that package is in broken state and
>    unless that package is properly installed or removed, no other packages
>    can be installed? This happened once and the author of the package
>    replied me here on this list. But now it happened with a few other
>    packages too. What can be done in this case? More than 4 packages are
>    in broken state, not able to install nor removable, so what can I do
>    with this state of apt? I *need* to install some other packages and I
>    am *stuck*.

I don't know the correct answer to this; the script usually says to
reinstall and configure, but I haven't always found that to be possible.
In a few cases I've resorted to manual deletion of all the relevant
files and then editing the records to reflect this. I'm not sure that
this is encouraged but I had to do it quite recently when openoffice got
itself in a mess.

The actual process involves running locate to find all the files
installed by the packages and deleting them. I then edit
/var/lib/dpkg/status, /var/cache/debconf/config.dat, and
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates. Obviously, make backup copies of all these
before changing them. Finally I run aptitude and "purge" the relevant
files to sort out apt-get.

Probably someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to say that
this is a Bad Idea and there is a better/simpler solution. but it has
worked for me when I've had to resort to it.

Anthony

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic